Current:Home > MyLawsuit filed over measure approved by Arkansas voters that revoked planned casino’s license -Capitatum
Lawsuit filed over measure approved by Arkansas voters that revoked planned casino’s license
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-07 03:13:10
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Cherokee Nation Entertainment on Friday filed a lawsuit challenging a constitutional amendment Arkansas voters approved this week that revokes its license for a planned casino in the state.
The lawsuit filed in federal court claims the measure approved by voters on Tuesday violates its constitutional rights, and seeks to block its enforcement before it takes effect Nov. 13. The constitutional amendment blocks a casino that was planned in Pope County.
Pope County was one of four sites where casinos were allowed to be built under a constitutional amendment that voters approved in 2018. Casinos have already been set up in the other three locations.
“Cherokee Nation Entertainment is firmly committed to protecting its constitutional rights, defending its lawfully issued casino license, and safeguarding the substantial investments it made in good faith based on the establishment of the Pope County casino license under Amendment 100 in 2018,” Bart Calhoun, an attorney for Cherokee Nation Entertainment, said in a statement.
The lawsuit is the latest in a costly fight between the Cherokee Nation and the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma, which had spent at least $30 million combined on the campaign over the ballot measure. The state Supreme Court last month rejected a lawsuit by the Cherokee Nation that sought to disqualify the measure from the ballot. The Choctaw Nation operates a casino near the Arkansas border.
“This legal action to attempt to bypass the voice of Arkansas voters is not unexpected,” said Hans Stiritz, spokesman for Local Voters in Charge, the campaign backed by the Choctaw Nation in favor of the measure. “But we are fully confident in the process that brought Issue 2 to the ballot. Arkansas voters have spoken clearly on Issue 2 and we expect it to stand.”
Attorney General Tim Griffin called the lawsuit “baseless” and said he was prepared to vigorously defend the state.
The proposed amendment removes the Pope County casino’s authorization from the state constitution. It also requires future casino licenses to be approved by voters in the county where it would be located. The constitution currently requires casino license applicants to submit letters of support from local officials.
Cherokee Nation Entertainment has said it plans to build a 50,000-square-foot (4,600-square-meter) casino northeast of Russellville, 60 miles (97 kilometers) northwest of Little Rock. Plans also call for a 200-room hotel, a conference center and an outdoor music venue.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
- RHOC's Heather Dubrow Teases Shannon Beador, Alexis Bellino, John Janssen Love Triangle Drama
- See Lindsay Hubbard & Carl Radke's Vicious Post-Breakup Showdown in Summer House Reunion Trailer
- Will Messi play Inter Miami's next game vs. Atlanta? The latest as Copa América nears
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Kendall Jenner and Ex Bad Bunny’s Reunion Is Heating Up in Miami
- Florida Panthers win in OT to even up series with New York Rangers at two games apiece
- Kathie Lee Gifford recalls Howard Stern asking for forgiveness after feud
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- ‘Son of Sam’ killer Berkowitz denied parole in 12th attempt
Ranking
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- How one school district is turning to AI to solve its bus driver shortage
- Trump responds to special counsel's effort to limit his remarks about FBI in documents case
- Michigan State Police trooper charged with second-degree murder in death of Kentwood man
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Albert Ruddy, Oscar-winning producer of ‘The Godfather’ and ‘Million Dollar Baby,’ dies at 94
- 7 people hospitalized, 1 unaccounted for after building explosion in Youngstown, Ohio
- Texas power outage map: Over 800,000 outages reported after storms, with more on the way
Recommendation
A steeplechase record at the 2024 Paris Olympics. Then a proposal. (He said yes.)
'When Calls the Heart' star Mamie Laverock placed on life support following 5-story fall
How a California rescue farm is helping animals and humans heal from trauma
Disaster declaration issued for April snowstorm that caused millions in damage in Maine
Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
Judge keeps punishment of 30 years at resentencing for man who attacked Paul Pelosi
Ryan Phillippe gives shout-out to ex-wife Reese Witherspoon in throwback photo: 'We were hot'
Former California water official pleads guilty to conspiring to steal water from irrigation canal